Information Page : City & Guilds Level 4 Certificate in Education & Training (RQF)
The City & Guilds Level 4 Certificate in Education & Training (RQF) is a first stage teaching qualification that gives individuals a fundamental understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a teacher / trainer in relation to legislation, equality, diversity, inclusivity and meeting the needs of learners. It includes the use of initial and diagnostic assessments and requires candidates to plan and deliver inclusive teaching and learning, carry out assessments and use resources effectively.
It is an ‘in-service’ qualification designed for those working or wishing to work as teachers or trainers in England. All candidates, whether pre-service or in-service, must have access to a minimum of 30 hours teaching practice based in their own work place and is suitable for those delivering education and training in any learning environment.
In order to complete this qualification candidates must:
- Be a minimum of 19 years of age
- Be qualified, proficient or experienced in the subject which they intend to teach
- Have access to a minimum of 30 hours teaching practice
- Have sufficient personal skills to complete the academic and other requirements of the programme. They will also need to be able to support their learners at the appropriate level whilst delivering their subject specialism
- Have the potential to study at this level, which is the same level of demand as that of a degree course
- Take an initial assessment of their literacy, mathematics and ICT skills. The teaching programme will support further development of these skills, recorded in a personal development log
Delivery & assessment methods:
This qualification has a minimum of 140 guided learning hours which includes an induction day and a choice of one of the following methods of delivery:
- 6 contact days, plus assignments and observations
- Distance learning
Assessment is through a portfolio of evidence which must cover all assessment criteria of the units selected. Candidates will be expected to apply and show evidence of both therorectical and practical knowledge in their portfolio.
The City & Guilds Level 4 Certificate in Education & Training (RQF) qualification develops practical teaching skills and, through the varied choice of optional units available prepares teachers to work in a wide range of contexts.
Unit 301: Understanding roles, responsibilities and relationships in education and training
Unit 401: Planning to meet the needs of learners in education and training
Unit 402: Delivering education and training
Unit 403: Assessing learners in education and training
Unit 404: Using resources for education and training
There is a requirement to complete optional units. These can be discussed at the initial assessment.
Candidates successfully completeing this qualification may wish to progress to further qualifications, such as:
- City & Guilds Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (RQF)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Assessing Vocational Achievement (RQF)